Forewarning : I am not an expert in special education. I have only been teaching children with special needs since August and have learned about it in college. I am by no means an expert in that area.
The other day... while picking up my kids from P.E- they had one of my students off to the side.
They told me that he had been making fun of another student that has down syndrome. I was so taken aback and so upset.
I told him that wasn't nice, and we walked to class.
I told my class I had to talk to them about something very important.
I asked them what the word special meant-some told me they were special- to which I agreed, and they said magic was special -again, I agreed.
It was a really hard topic to discuss with five and six year olds, but my heart was telling me they needed to hear this.
I told them they were all very special and unique and that everyone was different.
I made some examples like one student likes the color blue, and another likes pink.
Anyways- I said some children ( I brought up the student that was made fun of ) are even more special. I said they need more help, not just with learning but many different things.I also said that even though someone may not look like them or Miss Perkins, doesn't mean they should be made fun of.
It was a very hard conversation to have. Even if to some of them, the magnitude of it may have went over their heads,I know that some of them got it.
That is what teaching is all about. It is about finding those teachable moments.Not just teaching them reading, math, writing,social studies and science.It is also teaching children how to be caring, nurturing children, who will become caring and nurturing adults.
That is all.
:) Hayley

No comments:
Post a Comment